All rugs and carpets require proper maintenance if you want them to look their best. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Here are some tips for maintaining your precious rugs:
- Rotate your rugs at least once a week to clean off the dust.
- Vacuum your carpet at least three times a week. Be sure your vacuum cleaner has a high-efficiency particulate filter if anyone in your house is sensitive to allergens.
- Use an underlay beneath rugs to prevent discolouration of the floor.
- Read the manufacturer’s guidelines for care and maintenance. They’re usually attached to a new rug.
- Quickly clean up spills. Small stains can be removed with Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover.
- Use a rug pad, which will serve as a shock absorber. A quality pad makes the carpet more comfortable to walk on, and it will help preserve the fibres from the wear and tear caused by buckling and slipping.
- Place rugs on wet floors.
- Allow anyone to walk around your house with shoes. This will extend the life of your rugs and carpets.
- Place a rug in your home’s entranceway. It’s prone to dirt and heavy foot traffic. If you do have a rug in this area, protect it with a barrier mat.
Also, learn as much as you can about the rug-cleaning processes so that you can choose the best one when it comes time to clean your rugs. Different fibers require different approaches. The best technique for cleaning nylon and other artificial fibers aren’t the best for natural fibers. Be sure to use residue-free cleaners.
Is that too much information? If so, consider hiring a professional to help you maintain and clean your carpets. Pros have the necessary equipment, cleansers and knowledge to get the job done quickly and correctly.